06 October 2009

Kanji's Orihime dolls


Another post that is not really Q&A (because I don't seem to be getting those). But I did this as a little side project and thought it was too cute an idea not to post for folks to see.

Tanabata is the story of the weaver princess and the celestial cowherd, and the legend actually plays a role in "1 More Chance!" in more ways than one. But the most darling aspect of the legend (aside from Kuma's reaction to it) are the dolls that Kanji makes for Inaba's summer festival. In the story, I describe the dolls as having the physical characteristics to the girls of the Investigation Team. These images stuck with me, and I had to create little drawings of them.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time on these (I only made 2 designs for the yukata, as you can see), but I wanted to see what they might look like in a drawn design phase...or maybe I wanted to show interested readers how I thought they would look.

Naoto's hair was probably the most fun to do, since it is so messy but still pretty. Yukiko's hair was actually kind of a pain. I couldn't find the right reference material for it, and I had to keep re-drawing; her fringe is different from the other girls', and it was not making things easy. But I kind of like the way that it eventually turned out.

Obviously, the dolls are all taken from the same initial drawing/mold. But I think that's probably the way that Kanji would work with it - all the same face, but different hair to show off their inspirations.

Maybe I'll get a question or comment I can publicly answer in this week's feedback. Of course, that's assuming that I actually get any feedback. I seem to have scared away some of my regulars....

No comments:

Post a Comment