09 December 2009

Q: What's with the honorifics?

Q: A few reviewers commented (in the same week, oddly enough) about my use of honorifics, specifically the "-chan" honorific as regards to using it with men. So, this week I'll address the question, "Why do the characters use '-chan' when referring to a man?"

A: Because they do.

Okay, before you blow back at me, let me explain:

I write these characters by my own ear.

A lot of people are used to the "-kun" honorific when addressing boys informally/affectionately, because a lot of games, manga, and anime use this honorific for the male characters. This is, essentially, correct. However, "-kun" as an honorific for a man is not as widespread. In fact, when I was growing up, I was very specifically told by my (Japanese) mother that I should not be using "-kun" to refer to any male over the age of about 16, even if he is my contemporary. It's very baby-ish to refer to a man that way, and in a society such as Japan's, which is built so strongly around respect for one's neighbor, and social standing, and propriety, it's just not kosher to go around using the "-kun" honorific for a man.

The honorific "-chan" is regularly used by men and by women for women and children - and this is commonly addressed in games, manga, and anime, as well. But "-chan" is also used by women for men of contemporary age with whom they have a certain level of intimacy. A woman will very commonly use the "-chan" honorific for her boyfriend, or her lover, or even her husband (though usually only in private for the latter, again, because of the societal idea that men are supposed to be the providers and the dominants).

Chie has pretty much always called Yukiko (as an example) "Yukiko-chan" or even "Yuki-chan" because they are so close; they're practically sisters (or more intimate, though not in my story). And she does the same with the other women, because she's a woman talking to and referring to other women. No problem, right?

Okay, now, let's move on to the point of contention that some readers have.

At the beginning of the story, Chie calls Yousuke simply "Hanamura," the common way to address a peer being by their last name. Even in the game (the Japanese version, anyway, from which this story takes its cues), Chie calls him "Hanamura"...and Yousuke calls her "Satonaka." I kept them at that same level of intimacy (friendship only) for the first Arc of the story.

In the second Arc, Chie and Yousuke get closer as intimates, to the point where they're calling each other by their given names. (The moment in illustration occurs in Chapter 13, "Old Habits," for anyone wondering.) As noted in the Author's Notes for that chapter, this jump is fairly significant, for the reasons stated therein. He immediately starts using the "-chan" honorific because he's a man referring to a woman with whom he shares a deeper level of intimacy. She also starts to refer to him with the same honorific, for the same reason (just switch the respective genders).

By the third and fourth Arcs, Chie and Yousuke are both so far up into each other that I can't see them using any other terms. They do call each other by their given names only with regularity, but the "-chan" honorific adds a sweetness to the exchanges that just wouldn't exist otherwise. It's akin to an English speaker calling someone "sweetie" or "honey" or "baby" ... because those terms just don't really exist in Japanese language. It's pretty much some version of a name or title, or it's the equivalent of "hey, you" (which is quite ill-mannered in Japanese society).

There are some exceptions, of course:

Rise uses "-kun" for all of the guys, regardless of their age, because she's a perpetual girl.

Yukiko uses "-kun" for Kanji because she still kind of thinks of him as a little brother in a lot of ways (it's the same reason why Kanji slips and calls Yukiko "ne-chan [big sis]" in Chapter 33, "Juxtaposition"); she uses the name "Hana-chan" for Yousuke because she thinks of him as an inferior, much like Konishi Saki did (and I just liked to have someone keep that short form of his name alive). What Yukiko calls Souji will be revealed in more detail in the coming chapters....

But what my choice really comes down to is that I write the way that my mind thinks, and I'm a product of my Japanese upbringing. Having Chie call Yousuke "Yousuke-chan" - and vice versa - just makes sense to my inner ear. When I translate the way that I speak with my own significant other, that's how Chie speaks.

So, I hope that clarifies why I made the honorific choices that I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment