02 July 2011

For those interested

In the Author's Notes of the most recent chapter (63, "Just Now"), I wanted to make a note that I did not want in any way to belittle the terrible loss and devastation caused by the March 11 earthquake and the tsunami that followed. I suppose that no one (or, at least, no one who took the time to comment) took offense at the developments in the chapter, but the concern was genuine.

There are many times that art imitates life, and I've been lucky enough that it's done so in very wonderful ways. But I didn't want my art to be seen as capitalizing on a part of life that was horrifying; I've had enough of that in my own existence. The crucial moment in the story - where Chie has to deal with a sudden and unexpected possibility of loss - has its roots in reality in my own life. And the repercussions of that moment - the fear and anger - were difficult to write, because I'd experienced those feelings, myself. So if anyone wants to take issue with what I wrote, and the way I wrote it, I'm happy to have a mature discussion about it.

The story is what it is, though, and it tells what I want it to tell, so don't expect that part of it to change. But if you, dear reader, would like to go into more detail about this or any other part of the story, feel free to speak up.

No comments:

Post a Comment